Happy Valentine’s Day, my dears! I get that some saint started this holiday after he got his head chopped off and not Hallmark, but they sure as hell have been keeping it going. I also realize this holiday may put some of you in a funk. The rest of you might be more on my level and not give a flying flip.
Dare I say I’m excited. No expectations this year, no pressure. My 6-month-old will probably be the best V-day date I’ve ever had and I’m not even expecting flowers!
In honor of all my fellow single mommas, I am christening this day National Self Love Day for the relationship deficient. Alright fine, people in relationships can celebrate it, too. Shit, let’s get real crazy and make it global.
Self-love can look different to every person. It can be wine and a good netflix binge or a run and much needed shower. For me, self love all depends on what is needed in the moment. Here are 50 different ways you can show yourself how much you love you,
1. Have breakfast in bed
2. Do some gardening
3. Take a nap
4. Buy new underwear
5. Buy a new bra
6. Take yourself on a picnic
7. Explore local nature trails
8. Pick your own flowers
9. Make a vision board
10. Go to the beach
11. Go to the closest spring
12. Get lost in a book store
13. Take yourself out for a drink
14. Paint your nails
15. Try a new makeup tutorial
16. Feng Shui your home
17. Invite a couple girlfriends over for a fashion show while you go through your closet
18. Tell them to bring wine
19. Get a massage
20. Get a facial
21. Binge watch Gilmore Girls
22. Order pizza
23. Go to a yoga class
24. Go to an art museum
25. Try to cook something new for dinner
26. Avoid restaurants like the plague
27. Stay off social media for the day
28. DON’T TEXT YOUR EX. PUT THE PHONE DOWN.
29. Go to the gym
30. Get your froyo on
31. Clean your house naked
32. Dance around your house naked
33. Doing anything naked is strangely liberating (naked gardening, anyone?)
34. Start an art project
33. Find a pottery class near you
34. Take your pup to the dog park
35. Watch the Netflix original series “You”
36. Watch any documentary involving serial killers
37. Go to a concert or anywhere with live music
38. Curl up with a good book
39. Make some tea
40. Take a bubble bath
41. Shave your legs and lather them in coconut oil
42. Wear the fuzziest robe and pair of socks you own
43. If you don’t own these things, go to the store and BUY fuzzy socks and a fuzzy robe (I’m telling you, you won’t regret it)
44. Get a haircut
45. Blast gangster rap and practice your stripper moves
46. Find a tree to climb
47. Visit your Grandma
49. Buy your mom flowers
50. Eat ice cream out of the container and dare people to fucking judge you
How are you celebrating this day of love? What is self-love to you?
It’s okay to be sad you’re not in a relationship. It’s okay to be thrilled you’re not in a relationship. Honor what you’re feeling and shower yourself and the ones you love with affection and praise today.
Love is one of the few things that multiplies the more it is given. So let’s try trading out the bitterness and expectation this year for gratitude and self-love.